There is no doubt that there will be a lot of competition eyeing to land on a firefighting job just like you. Some may think that they are already well equipped with the information needed to pass the exam but becoming a firefighter doesn’t rely on getting a good score on the exam. A lot of applicants may pass the aptitude test for fighters but only a few are dedicated and brave enough.
You have to prepare diligently for your application because we all know that some competitors may come more prepared than you. First things first, you have to be physically fit for the position but you should also remember that being physically fit is not the only key to pass the application, you have to be intellectually and mentally prepared for the written examinations.
Here are some points to help you increase your chance of getting a high score in the written exam:
- The written exam doesn’t just involve questions about firefighting procedures or rules, actually there are just a few questions for that. You have to prepare for the problem solving type of exams because the main reason for giving the test is to determine your capability to handle situations.
- You can also find questions about literacy and numeracy skills, speed and accuracy and reading comprehension.
- There are also agencies that can help you prepare for the exam. Taking up some practice test will help you to prepare yourself for the possible related question that is going to be asked.
- When taking an exam, there is no point in rushing yourself to finish. You should concentrate and understand each question being given. Always remember to avoid overanalyzing the questions.
- You can also create your own strategy in taking the exam.
- Most exams last 2-3 hours long and before starting right away you should try to read the entire exam before starting. This strategy can give you an idea about what’s the exam all about. You can also try to answer the questions that you find easier and just go back on the questions that needs to be analyzed.
- Before writing anything up, make sure you have already analyzed and thought of what you are going to write. Formulate your answers first before writing them up.
- Preparing for the exam is a must in order to avoid panic or even mental block. You can always practice for the exam by taking up practice test.
- The exam is not intended to measure your IQ level, rather, it is designed to test your logic skills. Your capability to handle problems will tested, that’s why instead of studying all about the procedure of firefighting, read more about the lives of the firefighter and put yourself in their shoes.